Atom Wave: Google Tea Bagging

Atom Wave

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Google Tea Bagging

I recently came across a good piece of fiction on the New York Times. The story begins in the sunny warm town of Mountain View, California, on the corporate campus of Google. We begin in any typical office; with windows, a desk, computer, and filing cabinets. Horrifying I know, filing cabinets at Google! We begin with Doyle, and her job is to battle immigration issues with the government so that the company can import foreign engineers. On her desk is applications from five rejected American Ph.D.s in computer science for geo-location engineers. She says in a harsh whisper, that none is qualified; but there is hope. An engineer lives in China, or India, or some damn place that will save the day, and she wants to bring him here. By train, plane, or automobile; maybe even ship if it comes to that. But first, she must battle the United States government. She pulls out a sword.
Now that last part was fiction, but that last part about there being no qualified engineers in the USA is as believable as the Easter Bunny. I might as well believe that Oswald killed Kennedy alone. Don’t tell me that Harvard, Stanford, or M.I.T doesn’t graduate Ph.D.s every year who could recreate Google Maps from scratch. As for the five unqualified American applications, tell me five hundred and I might believe it. Why is it that they only list jobs locally and internationally? There is definitely an angle here. I’ll get to it shortly.
I’m not bitching because I want a job with Google; yeah I have a job thank you! I’m writing for the unsung heroes, perfectly competent Americans like my professor who is out of work right now. Yeah, he teaches part-time. Give Jim a break.
The real truth, not the imaginary one is that Google wants to maximize its profits, them and the rest of corporate America. Why hire a competent American worker when you can hire an equally qualified foreigner and pay them crap? It is all part of the web of life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home